Music and fashion, fashion and music;
they're just as important as each other to our UO Womenswear assistant designer - Verity Pemberton. Drums, Zombies, and David Bowie; find out how they've influenced her life and style.
How does music influence your designs?
- I think music affects how people dress and therefore how I design. A few years ago the Indie scene led people to dress in skinny jeans, and then the look cropped up on street style blogs, and then into the shops. For example, creepers have gone into the mainstream now and they never used to be.
- I go out and see what people wear at clubs or concerts. I look at what other girls are wearing. How other people do little details, styling details that make something different from just buying a product and putting it on someone.
- A lot of people at Urban Outfitters go to different ones. This year I didn't go to any, but I have been to Bestival and Secret Garden Party before. I like the smaller festivals, as they're more intimate. I definitely find myself looking around thinking 'that's nice' or 'she's wearing a nice dress.
- I think I'm stuck in time! I'm not very good with modern new music. I love Patti Smith, The Doors, and David Bowie - that kind of era. I read the Patti Smith and the Keith Richards book recently, which were inspirational in a fashion sense. I feel like that rock and roll after-party style is going to come back into fashion, even if it's not on the cat walk. Women like Marianne Faithfull and Anita Pallenberg dressed in their own way, mixing menswear into their wardrobes to create strong looks.
- Yeah - my sister is really into jazz and my brother is a film composer. He used to have his bedroom next to mine so I would always be listening to his music, I didn't have a choice. He loved ambient music like KLF, Massive Attack and Brian Eno.
- I play the drums. I've been playing since I was 11. I've never been in a band but I used to have jamming sessions in my room occasionally - it was quite a tight fit!
Where else do you find design inspiration?
Do you go to any music festivals?
"Florence Welch wore some of my personal designs on stage to perform, which was pretty cool."
Tell us about your taste in music...
Has your family influenced your taste in music?
Do you play any instruments?
How do you collate your music?
- I don't really download music that much as my boyfriend has great taste and will often give me music that I like. I love vinyl. My uncle is obsessed with it - he has a huge collection so I often get given stuff from him that is quite random. Other than that, I listen to CDs. I used to really like punk music. The first band I was into was Less Than Jake and their album The Pez Collection. This girl at school was into them and she was really cool, so I got into them.
- The Zombies, The Kinks or The Doors. Maybe, The Zombies. I really like The Zombies.
- Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah. I don't know why. I think it reminds me of the finale of The O.C which I used to watch all the time. Yup - sad, I know!
- My blog is a mix of fashion and art. It's research-based and about anything that is inspiring me. I use it as an excuse to interview interesting too - I recently interviewed a jewellery designer who was super inspiring: http://theydontknowyet.com/
- I’ve already dressed Florence Welch. She wore some of my personal designs on stage to perform, which was pretty cool.
- I like vintage markets. I also like the antique markets in Battersea and Hammersmith. There is also a cool shop near me called the G'day shop which is open once a week. I got a Christian Dior jacket for £40.
- Yes totally, I get bored if I'm not listening to something. I also like the way music can make me feel. I always play Easybeats - Friday on my Mind, even if it's Monday because it's such a good song! For my final collection catwalk show at college we played The Sonics - Money (That's What I Want)!
If you could only listen to one album for the rest of your life what would it be?
What songs are guaranteed to make you cry?
Tell us about your blog:
If you could dress any music artist who would it be?
Where do you shop for fashion and music?
Will music always play a big part in your life?